Pasadena Community Gardens is dedicated to developing community gardens in Pasadena so residents can:
- Plant vegetables, fruits, and flowers
- Transform abandoned, vacant properties into attractive and beneficial edible community gardens
- Learn about the benefits of sustainable, eco-friendly gardening and preservation of these gardens for generations to come
- Participate in educational opportunities that promote health and well-being
Our history - trace our roots
On a cool, sunny Saturday morning in January of 2010, a group of 12 Pasadena citizens came together over a shared vision: to start a community garden. What was clear at the time was that:
- There were no public community gardens in Pasadena.
- There was a need and desire for community gardens in Pasadena.
- There were many vacant properties in Pasadena that could serve as a community garden.
- The City of Pasadena was on record as wanting community gardens.
- It was up to us to take action — to organize and to create a community garden that would serve as a model for others who wished to create additional community gardens in neighborhoods throughout Pasadena.